As president of the Leadership Macon advisory board, I would like to share some program updates during this unprecedented time in our country.
- The Leadership Macon Class of 2020, sponsored by Georgia Farm Bureau, was suspended in March 2020 due to the pandemic, ironically, after the Healthcare class. Though LM 2020 was off to a strong start with 42 class members, to protect the health and safety of the class members and volunteers, the Advisory Board voted to suspend the class for the remainder of 2020 and re-launch the class in April 2021 in a hybrid format. We are determined to provide the class of 2020/2021 the best possible experience given the pandemic safety protocols.
- The week before the country shut down, Leadership Macon alumni gathered at the Society Garden to celebrate the program’s 40th anniversary. It’s difficult to imagine celebrating in a large group again, but we hope to do so in November with the graduation of the Class of 2020/2021.
- The Class of 2019’s class project, Ocmulgee Mounds Education Project, was stalled due to the closure of the national park system. Fortunately, the outdoor learning classroom was completed in the fall of 2020 and includes dedicated learning space and STEAM trunks for educational use. We are proud of this class (or #thatclass as they prefer to be called) for this wonderful addition to a beloved community resource.
- Leadership Macon partnered with the Mentor’s Project and the Chamber and became a food drop off location for several food drives this spring and summer to ensure that Bibb county students did not go hungry during the quarantine.
- Beginning in April, LM alumni shared “Thoughtful Thursday” video messages meant to inspire and maintain hope and high spirits during this difficult time.
As alums, you have rallied around our community in our time of need, and I cannot thank you enough for all of your help. As with any non-profit, your gifts to the Leadership Macon program are more important than ever. We rely on your dues to keep the alumni program vibrant and relevant.
We intentionally did not ask for any alumni support in 2020 given the economic hardships we were all facing. So, we hope you will seize the opportunity to pay your 2021 dues of $50, and ensure the success of this cherished Macon program.
Thank you for your continued commitment to the Macon-Bibb community as we strive to provide the most prepared leaders to advocate for the success of the place we all call home.
2021 Leadership Macon Advisory Board